Thursday, January 13, 2011

Deep Dish Pot Pie

Cost: Around $9. Would have been closer to 7 if I had paid attention to sales this week.

Clean-Up: A-MAZ-ING. Everything cooks in one pot and transfers to one pan, with a mixing spoon, knife, and cutting board suffering a little damage along the way.

1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/3 c Italian dressing
8 oz cream cheese, cubed
2 T flour
2/3 c chicken broth
1-16 oz package frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 refrigerated pie crust

cook the chicken in the salad dressing for 2-3 minutes, until cooked on all sides. Add cream cheese, and stir until melted. Stir in flour. Add broth and veggies, and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Pour into a 10 in deep dish pie pan and cover with crust, fluting edges. Cut slits in crust for steam to escape, and bake about 1/2 an hour or until golden brown.

***I'm the only one who noticed, but I thought the sauce felt a little grainy. I'll probably leave out the flour next time and just cut down on the broth a bit.

***Also, the kids weren't fans of the veggies. I used the mixed bag that had green beans and lima beans in it, so if you have picky kids I would suggest sticking to a pea/carrot/corn combo.

***This does spill out the edges in the oven, so you may want to put a cookie sheet on the rack bottom rack to catch the drippings. If you don't, it leaves a HUGE mess inside the oven.

Scott and I really liked this, though Scott thought it needed some salt. Sammie didn't like how the sauce made the veggies taste "Slimy on the outside and crunchy on the inside", and Ben just didn't like the veggies.

1 comment:

  1. I was glad to see this recipe - I was going to go looking for an easy recipe and then remembered to check out your blog!

    Some "twicks" I made - since both Jeff and I work - it is easier for me to use canned chicken! I loved it, just drain 2 cans of chicken and then when you stated to cook chicken with salad dressing I just forked over the chicken so it was more like strands of chicken rather than cubes - so much better for our textured picky eating child.

    Also, instead of store bought salad dressing; I made my own - since it was Italian it was way easy and cheaper for me to make my own - yummy! I use Good Seasons Italian All Natural - I can also control how much oil is actually in the dressing that way too!

    I did add Salt and fresh ground pepper!

    I also made this like an actual pie - where it has a bottom crust and a top crust. That way I could cut it out better for the little ones!

    I must say it was rather yummy - I think it is keeper with our family!

    ReplyDelete